Sunday, July 25, 2010

Birthday Boy

Happy Birthday (yesterday) to my blue-eyed, curly blonde, rolley-polley snuggle-bug.

This little boy has completely changed the lives of Shawn, Roanin and myself. I don't think any of us realized the missing part of our puzzle or how much we needed him until Rex showed up. He has made every day of the last year a complete joy and so much fun for each of us, and has become something so special for everybody. For Roanin, he has become a best friend. He has become a wrestling partner, a partner in crime, a target for both kisses and cheap shots. And perhaps most importantly, he is the one that will be there for Roanin for the rest of his days, through thick and thin. For Shawn, he has become a little light bulb that really lights up the moment that he walks in a room. He is Daddy's biggest fan. He has found the perfect little perch on Daddy's lap, right under his arm, and has become exactly what Shawn needs after a long day. And for me, this little boy has become the most beautiful grand finale that I could have ever asked for. He has made each moment of parenting completely intense and real. His smiles are enough to melt me and his sadness breaks my heart. His blue eyes are where I daydream, and his snuggles make me know I am the luckiest girl in the entire world. I have adored watching him evolve from a crazy ball of fireworks in my belly, to a totally chill and sweet baby, to a crazily independent and at the same time super-leachy little speed-demon. And I have to admit, that every time we are in a group and he fusses when anyone makes an attempt at holding him besides me that it is the most amazing feeling in the world. Watching his chubby little arms reach out for me and then his little toothy grin emerge the second he finds his place on my hip makes me feel like I am simultateously being elected President of the United States, Miss Universe, Homecoming Queen, and the new American Idol. He is a dream child. I wouldn't trade one second of the last year with Rex for anything in the world.

Rex is the happiest, sweetest and most ornery child in the world. He is the total package and a total mess. He is an angel and a complete maniac. He is perfect. I don't know how we ever survived without him.

Happy Birthday, sweet Rexy. We love you.

3 comments:

The Lively's said...

Happy Birthday Rex!! Our babies are growing up.

the fishers said...

SO sweet! Happy Birthday, little buddy! I need to have some of his cuddles, I mean, loving upper body workouts soon!

Stephanie Cole said...

i love this post. you are an inspiring mom.

we loved Rex's party! it was cute and the kids all had fun. we are still playing pirates!

and my favorite part was watching Rexy slowly eat his cake!