Sunday, October 19, 2008

Off to School

Roanin has started Mother's Day Out (aka "school") one day a week. Both he and I were a little skeptical of the whole situation, but have begun to get into the swing of things. The first day did not go well. The short story is that I convinced myself that his tears and wailing upon drop off would probably end shortly after I left (based on the assurances of everyone who I tearfully came in contact with). This notion was rapidly destroyed after receiving a phone call from the director an hour and forty-five minutes after drop off, when she explained that her policy was to call the parent to come pick up if the child just was unable to settle down. That was Roanin. Unable or unwilling...whichever the case may be....Roanin was still bawling when I frantically showed back up to snatch him away from the cold harsh world of real life. Nothing like that type of experience to bolster a sense of security in the child and pride in the mothering job one is doing. Go team Dunsmore!Roanin calmly listing the reasons he does not want to go to school the first day. Only willing to compromise going if he can bring Pia...his newest security blanket.
Do either of us look gung ho for the big event? I think not. At least I am trying to fake it...Roanin has no shame and is giving Daddy his sad eyes to try and get a change of plan.

After 40 rounds of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" in the car on the way to school...I finally got a smile. This was not the face I picked up 2 hours later. I will spare you that picture.

Week 2: much better. Roanin sporting not only a much better attitude, but also his very own regulation size Spiderman backpack (on a side note...I didn't get the memo that there was a size limit to bags for school. So my poor little man showed up with GIANT size bag, filled with all his necessities of course, and ended up overpowering not only his little hook...but also the hooks of Brock, Evie and Ella. What a way to make friends...I like to set my child up for success. Chalk that up to another power move for the Poor Mothering Club).
Roanin is doing much better, and is even napping at school now. He still cries each Tuesday upon drop off, but settles down quite quickly (or so they say). This past week, while bawling, he even reached out for Mrs. Ann when we got there. I was so proud!

No comments: