Sunday, October 26, 2008

Goodbye to a Best Friend

We said goodbye to sweet Ickabod on October 8, 2008. He had waged a valiant war against the brain tumor that had decided to share his body, and we had to make the difficult decision that his battle was over. I am not sure either Shawn or I have had to make a more difficult decision. Although it was unbelievably hard, we feel at peace with the timing. It is crazy to have to say goodbye to a best friend of 9 years. Shawn and I rescued Ick from an animal shelter while we were engaged to be married. He immediately was our baby...but truly became my dog. He had gone faithfully on a walk or a run almost every morning of all those years with me...never complaining, never questioning - just ready for the next adventure with his huge grin. He saw us through 6 moves (one across the country), dozens of road trips, additions of new pets and the loss of others. He welcomed Roanin home and graciously shared a portion of what had only been "his mommy" with the new little bundle of weird noises. He licked away tears and smiled through fits of laughter for both Shawn and I. We saw him through chewing rugs, several surgeries, late night thunder storms, a few chicken murders, and a really tough last year.
He has a strong strand in the woven tapestry of our family...one that will never be removed or replaced. Daily, he effortlessly lived the qualities that I could only hope to give to a dear friend: undying loyalty, true understanding, patience, compassion for others, steadfastness, and unconditional love. No words can express the hurt in my heart the morning I got up to run without my partner. But I know that I will see him again one day...and the beautiful memories he has left me with will slowly heal that hurt until that day comes.


I love you baby Ick. I miss you like crazy. Rest easy...and find all the good trails in heaven so we are ready to go when I join you.

2 comments:

WhisperWood Cottage said...

We are sorry to hear of your loss. We loved Ick, too. He was all smiles and kisses...unless you tried to touch his ears, of course! He truly was an amazing dog and a special part of your family. We will miss him dearly.

Ron, Amy, & Tanner

AmyK said...

I'm so sorry, Sarah. It's good to know that Ick is at peace but I'm so sad for your loss. He was a fun, spunky guy and will be missed.