Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Cabin in the Woods

For the last week, we have been in South Fork, Colorado, where my parents are building our family a cabin. Shawn, Roanin and I went up to help with a little of the labor (and I do mean little). Shawn helped, I watched over Mr. Independence, and Roanin did his best to conquer all the nature he could. We were pretty pumped to start the adventure when my parents told us the night before we left that a bear had taken a bite out of the fender of their jeep. Fabulous given Roanin is just about bear appetizer size. But 14 hours in the car later, and we were in heaven... Our little family posing at the bottom of the property.

Roanin sleeping on the car ride there. He did so good...I couldn't believe it. (I think Teddy may have helped.)My parents greeted us at the entrance to the place with some festive leis (spell?) to put around Roanin's neck. He loved them, however, after fourteen hours in the car - a greeting from Alan Greenspan would have been entertaining to the little man. The entire gang at a local eatery (Papa, the Pickle, Grandma, Mommy, and Daddy)


My boys checking out the land.


Mommy trying to get some "still time" with speedy gonzales.


Roanin enjoyed baths in the LITTLE sink in the RV (where Shawn, Roanin and I slept every night). He thought it was hilarious to watch me attempt to keep water off of the computer right behind it.


Sarah hard at work (yeah right).


Walking on all the mountainous inclines really helped instill confidence in RoRo's walking. By the end of the week, he was attempting to run on anything flat.

We hiked on the National Forrest each morning.

Papa impressing Roanin with the heavy machinery (RoRo now goes to Papa for cookies AND tractor rides).


Dutchess (my parent's dog) helping.

Come on, you know if we were being forced to work that we were going to put the little man to work.

Shawn's version of heavy lifting.

Roanin LOVED the four wheeler. Any crankiness could easily be put to rest by a quick ride.

Del Norte Peak behind Mr. Serious. This is the view from the back porch.


I would love to write a caption that says something about how Dutchess spent all her waking hours patiently sitting by Roanin as he played....protecting him from the famed bear in the woods, and guarding his shaky little steps. But alas...no. It took me about 30 attempts to even get both of these little wiggle worms to be in the same frame together. Good idea though....

Roanin climbing his own mountain.

There was 3 feet of snow 2 nights before we got there, and Roanin loved investigating the big pile that was still hanging around. The problem came when he stuck his little fingers in for about 30 seconds and realized that it was not only pretty, but COLD. The excitement was followed by tears.
Daddy and our little explorer.

Come on...he is too stinkin' cute.

This kid wanted nothing to do with his backpack once on top of the mountain. He wanted to do the hiking HIMSELF.

This is the back of the property (and the back of Roanin and I).

The view of the house from an adjoining peak. My parents have done an amazing job.

Mountain men at their finest.

The Pickle and his Grandma sharing some sunshine and some lovin'.

On the way home, we stopped at Clayton, NM to eat breakfast. To get some energy out, we let Roanin run around at a park nearby. He found a sprinkler and proceeded to run into the water about 100 times. It was hilarious. He was in some really fleecy pj's because we woke him up in about 33 degree temps that morning, but it was pretty warm by this time so he found a way to cool off.

Daddy to the rescue.

5 comments:

The Dunsmores said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Dunsmores said...

It was nice for your parents to meet us at the gate. But, I do think it would have been fun for Alan Greenspan to greet us as well. You need to read his book and then you will have something to discuss with him.

Shawn

The Dunsmores said...

funny shawn....don't try and make me look dumb to the audience. I HAVE read the book and find Alan a pleasure....it is just that Roanin doesn't really like his work.

hee, hee....

Admin said...

See, this was my thinking as I was reading too. Alan Greenspan? I pictured you running names and then thinking, Greenspan! Hilarious!

The Wittners said...

Sarah, I love your pictures. Hope we can go visit your parents' cabin some day! I finally got our blog spot up, but I do need help. thewittners.blogspot.

Linda