Monday, August 10, 2009

The Big Event


I just wanted to give a little update on how the labor went, despite the fact that it was two weeks ago. We went 5 days past our due date, and the doctor decided that going any longer might prove to be too risky. So we decided that Friday, July 24 would be our induction date. The induction medication was started at 7:30 am, and my water was broken right after that. I was able to watch an episode of John and Kate Plus 8 (not sure if this is the best show to watch when you are literally about to expand your own brood of kiddos but whatever...) before my contractions started coming fairly quickly. Unlike my labor with Roanin, these contractions were completely irregular and we were unable to get into any kind of rhythm. Shawn was a HUGE help, as usual, though...and somehow we adjusted. He told me every kind of distracting story a human could possibly think of, wiped me down with a cool washcloth, covered me up with covers, uncovered me when I was hot, walked me to and from the bathroom time after time, used a stop watch to time these un-timable contractions, rubbed my hair, rubbed my back, and was just the best stinking husband and partner a girl could ask for. Around noon, they allowed me to start pushing...which I thought I was ready for. It wasn't until I started pushing and traded the horrible contractions for a new sensation that can only be described as someone using a machete on the end of your spine, that I realized that the pushing stage might not be all it was cracked up to be. Again, unlike Roanin's labor, this was totally different. I was feeling NO PROGRESS each time I pushed. The next 30 minutes were full of pushing that was so intense that I thought my eyes were going to actually launch from my skull. Seriously. Shawn said that he thought that the little silver chain necklace that is typically loose around my neck was going to break due to the pressure my neck was placing on it. Halfway through the pushing segment...I remember distinctly thinking they were going to have find another way to get this human out that did not involve me in any way, shape or form. The doctor later told us that Rex was actually turning while coming down the canal, and was stuck for a little while. Thankfully, we didn't have to use any crazy techniques to get him out -- I think the only thing that was lost was any possibility of me having any good feelings about this part of labor left in my memory.
It turns out it was all worth it, though. At 12:44 this 9 lb 7 oz hunk of a boy finally made his debut and warmed both of his parent's hearts instantly. Although we didn't think it was possible to be equally in love and enamored with another human being like we are with Roanin, but indeed it happened. Our family is complete.
The first bath...

Proud little papa.

Mommy looking rough, but little peanut cute as a button.

This is the morning after the birth...

Still at the hospital...Daddy snags every chance he can to hold Rexy.

Nothing like a nap in Daddy's arms.

Comin' home...

Seriously...are these made for newborns?

2 comments:

The Goldade's said...

I'm glad everything went great! He's such a doll!

the fishers said...

Are you kidding with me your new "Life with Boys" picture?? I love it! So, so precious...